My annual church cleaning assignment
What to clean weekly.
1. Rest Rooms [upstairs & down]
· -Mop the floors [use only water, no soap or detergent], scrub & flush the bowls, empty the paper baskets.
· -Check the facilities, refill the soap containers, bathroom paper, paper towels, plungers, spray some air freshener.
· -You may want to provide some potted or cut flowers from your house for the Masses of that weekend. You may take your flower pots back after the 11:00 AM Mass.
· -Vacuum, dust, and remove the wax-stains (for the wax use an iron at minimum temperature and/or the liquid wax remover found in Altar Servers’ sacristy).
· -Discard into our dumpster the old, cut dying flowers.
· -On the tray of the small votive candles, keep a taper and matches and see that the sand is clean and orderly.
· -Vacuum the carpet, dust & treat the pews with Murphy oil Soap, and close windows and doors.
· -Remove from the pews & book holders the forgotten items, leaflets, missalettes, toys, bulletins, pencils, etc.
· -Lift up kneelers as you vacuum then leave the kneelers up.
· -Report on any loose parts of pews, damage, etc.
4. Garbage and Trash
· -Remove & bring to our dumpster [near Rectory’s Garage] the trash from 1) the Sacristy, 2) the Reconciliation room, 3) the hall/kitchen, and 4) the restrooms. If you cannot carry the bags of rubbish, please inform Father.
· -Refill the waste basket containers with new plastic bags.
5. Outside the church
· -Check 1) the walkway, 2) landings and 3) the steps.
· -The carpets on the landings at both front & side entrances are lifted and vacuumed to remove the dirt.
· -Discard outdated announcements, 'Pgh. Catholics.' Some of the old bulletins can be kept in the plastic bins for those who might want them.
· -See that the literature & pictures on display are properly and neatly arranged.
·-Vacuum & straighten the movable carpets.
· -Water the flower pots (keep the pots over the plastic mats & inside their saucers to catch the overflow of water).
· -To maintain the wax finish on our floors, mop with cold water and no detergent the two stairways & lower lobby, close doors, windows, & lights.
7. The Reconciliation Room
·-Empty into the dumpster the waste basket.
· -Straighten the chairs, the lector’s stand & the kneeler.
· -Vacuum the room and close the door, windows, & lights.
8. Closet by the Confessionals
· -Keep the storage material in order, and the doors closed.
· -Stored here are boxes of missalettes & usher’s baskets, music books, extension cords & vacuum cleaners.
9. Organ Loft
· -Dust & vacuum both the landing & the steps.
·-Straighten up kneelers, chairs and the literature.
· -Keep the chain across the bottom entrance to the stairway to discourage non-musicians from using the loft.
10. Behind the Tabernacle Sacristy
· -Tidy the vestments, candle boxes and any other item.
· -Vacuum the room; keep closed window, door, & lights.
11. Priest's Sacristy (For key see Father or Claudine)
· -Vacuum, dust, and empty the waste paper basket.
· -Check the roll of paper towels. New paper towels are kept in the storage cupboard in back of our hall.
· -Keep the empty flower pots out of sight & doors closed.
12. Handicapped Lift
· -Clean the parking lot’s reception floor. Clean the plastic glasses on the door but do not use glass cleaning detergents.
13. Lower Lobby
· -Keep the cassocks, surplices & albs in order according to size & topics.
· -Mop the floor [no hot water or soaps], straighten up & vacuum carpets.
· -Keep the door of the Hall open & the doors at the bottom of the stairway closed
14. As you leave:
· -Turn off lights, close windows and doors, spray some air freshener everywhere.
· - See that the storage areas are also left in order.
· -Please, remind the Rectory of any shortage of supplies or any damage you have encountered which you could not fix.
Thank you so much for your stewardship!